Points to remember
- To make a sugar heart, mark out your design using a skewer.
- Fill a piping bag with coloured sugar and snip off the tip at an angle. Carefully pour out the sugar following your guide.
- To make an icing sugar pattern, cut a template out of paper. Lay the template on the cake, making sure it’s flat. Dust generously with icing sugar, then carefully lift off the template to reveal the design.
- For a drizzled chocolate pattern, melt one or more types of chocolate. Use a spoon to zigzag each chocolate across the cake.
- To crystallise rose petals, lightly whisk an egg white in a small bowl. Paint a petal all over with egg white, cover evenly with caster sugar, then shake off the excess. Repeat with each petal.
- Dry the petals on baking parchment for at least 3 hours. Arrange them on your cake.
Decorating cakes with icing sugar
Use a doily to create a pretty design on top of your cake. Simply lay it flat over the top and then dust generously with icing sugar. Remove the doily to reveal the pattern.