Points to remember
- To remove the leg from the carcass, loosen it a little at the thigh socket with your hands, then carve into the natural joint - cutting through the socket of the bone.
- To split the drumstick and the thigh, again loosen then carve into the socket of the bone.
- To cut the breast meat, cut off the wing tip then make a horizontal incision underneath the breast towards the body of the bird.
- Using a fork, carve slices of meat from the breast.
- Repeat process on the other side.
- Alternatively, remove the breast altogether by making a horizontal incision under the breast and then cutting off the meat in one piece.
- Put the breast on the chopping board and then cut across the breast - this is an easier way as it goes along the grain of the meat and gives a smooth slice.
- Remove the wings in the same way as the leg, cutting through the socket where it attaches to the carcass.
- Place the finished carved meat onto a serving plate.
The drumstick and thigh can be served on their own, or if all your guests would like a little brown meat then carve the meat from the bone once you have removed the leg from the carcass.