Marzipanning a cake
How to cover a cake with marzipan.
Points to remember
- Boil the apricot jam with a splash of water, then strain out any lumps using a sieve.
- Brush the the plate or cake board where you want to place the cake. This will help it stick.
- Level the top of the cake if necessary. Turn it over and stick down. This will give you a flat surface to decorate.
- Use a piece of string to measure the top and sides of the cake. Cut the string. You'll then know how big to roll out the marzipan.
- Brush the cake with jam so the marzipan will stick.
- Roll out the marzipan slightly wider than the string - this makes it easier to mould onto the cake.
- Use the rolling pin to lift the marzipan. Lift over the cake and carefully unroll.
- Ease down the sides, smooth the surface and trim the base.