How to make perfect meringue then create a whipped cream and fruit topping.
Points to remember
- Whisk your egg whites until stiff - you're looking for a meringue mix that's lovely and shiny and thick. Adding vinegar gives it a mallow chewiness.
- Pour your meringue mix onto parchment and smooth flat with a palette knife so you can easily stack your topping.
- Your meringue is cooked when it peels easily from the parchment. Leave it to cool before topping.
- Make sure your meringue equipment is really clean and grease-free.
- Crack your egg whites into a separate bowl then mix them into the main batch one by one incase you split the yolk when separating.
- Use a compass to create a circular template for the meringue mix on parchment, then flip the sheet to make sure you don't get pencil or pen on the bottom of your meringue.