Decorating a classic winter fruit cake
How to top your Christmas cake with swirly icing and frosted fruits.
Points to remember
- Brush the grapes and holly leaves with a thin coating of egg white, then sprinkle with caster sugar. Leave to dry.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add egg white and whisk for about 5 mins over a pan of simmering water until thick and glossy.
- Dollop the icing over the top of the cake and swirl it around with a palette knife.
- Halve the clementines and figs and open out the cape gooseberries.
- Arrange the fruits on the top and fix a festive ribbon around the cake.
- The mixture of egg white and caster sugar will give the grapes and holly leaves an attractive frosting.
- Raw and partially cooked egg is not suitable for young children, pregnant women, infirm or elderly people.