How to knead your dough to make the lightest loaves and buns.
Points to remember
- Release air from risen dough by punching it in the centre.
- Scatter a little flour on the work surface. Use your hand to scrape the dough onto the work surface.
- With lightly floured hands, scrape the dough into a ball.
- Take the dough and push it forward and turn it back upon itself.
- Turn the dough every time you push it for about 5-10 minutes, until the texture of the dough becomes really springy and you have a smooth, soft dough.
- To test if the dough is ready, press a floured finger into the side of the dough. If it bounces back, it's ready to be rested.
- Add more flour to the surface or hands while kneading if necessary.