Chopping an onion
How to finely chop onions, the basis of many savoury dishes.
Points to remember
- Chop the top off the onion and cut in half.
- Peel the skin away - discard the brown layers until you are left with the white of the onion.
- Take one half of the onion and make about 3 or 4 horizontal cuts, then cut down vertically, holding the onion together as you chop.
- Turn the onion with the flat end facing the knife and chop downwards with a slicing motion to create a finely chopped onion. Discard the root.
- Repeat the process on the second half.
- Onion slicing is one of the most important cooking skills because many soups, stews and sauces start with this technique.