How to make smooth gravy using the juices from roast meat.
Points to remember
- Remove the meat from the roasting pan.
- Fry some finely chopped vegetables - such as carrots, onions and celery - in the base of the pan on a high heat so that they caramelise. Bay leaves can be added for additional flavour.
- Add flour to the frying veg and start to cook the flour out. Add a little wine and let it reduce slightly.
- Add enough stock to make the gravy as thick or thin as you like - as a guide, 1 pint to 1 rounded tablespoon of flour should produce a good consistency.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a jug, pressing down on the veg with a spoon to release all the juices. You now have a jug of gravy.
- If the mixture is too thin, let it bubble and reduce a little.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little more hot liquid.