Making bechamel (white sauce)
How to make white and cheese sauce.
Points to remember
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in an equal amount of flour and cook the mixture for just under a minute - known as a roux.
- Stir in milk, a little at a time, making sure to stir well so that no lumps form.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly, so that the mixture thickens and becomes glossy. Boil for a couple of mins.
- To make a cheese sauce, add grated cheese off the heat. Season well.
- Don't cook the roux for too long - it can impede the flour's thickening abilities.
- Stir constantly so the mixture doesn't go lumpy, or catch at the bottom and affect the taste and appearance of the sauce.
- Add different ingredients to make different variations: cheese, parsley, watercress.