How to recognise a good steak and cook it to perfection.
Points to remember
- Bring steak to room temperature.
- Heat pan and oil to high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- For medium rare steak, fry on a high heat, browning for 3 mins on each side (based on 150g, medium-thickness sirloin steak), making sure to moderate the heat if the pan starts smoking profusely.
- Rest steak for 5 mins before serving so the juices get re-absorbed.
- Pre-packaged steaks are often a bit wet and slippery and need to be patted dry with kitchen paper before frying so they brown quicker.
- Don't season with salt too far in advance, as if left too long, the salt can draw moisture out of the steak and make it tough.