How to clean, prepare and cook squid.
Points to remember
- Pull out the tentacles from the main body. Cut just below the eye and discard the innards. Discard the beak and then trim the long tentacles level with the rest.
- Pinch the two fins together, thread thumb underneath and pull them away from the body, along with the membrane and discard.
- Pull out the shell or 'quill' and then remove the innards using the back of a knife.
- Cut the squid open, and scrape any more innards out and discard. Cut into slices, or score the squid and cut into pieces.
- You can now cook the squid. Frying is a popular method - squid pieces just need to be cooked for 30-40 seconds on a very high heat. Serve immediately.
- When frying, don't place too many pieces in the pan at once - they'll steam, overcook and become tough instead of staying tender.
- Squid should be served immediately after cooking - it doesn't hold for too long or reheat successfully.
- More about our fish expert, CJ Jackson.