Making a souffle
How to make a perfect, puffed up souffle.
Points to remember
- Preheat oven and baking sheet to 200C/fan 180C. Butter the inside of ramekins and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Make a thick white sauce (see the white sauce video), leave until warm and stir in egg yolks and cheese. Season well.
- Whisk egg whites until medium peak, then beat a large spoonful into the sauce mixture.
- Gently fold the rest of the whites into the sauce in two additions, using a large metal spoon and working in a figure of 8 motion to combine until no large streaks of whites remain.
- Spoon into the ramekins, filling 3/4 full. Run the end of a teaspoon or tip of a knife around the edge of the mixture to help it rise.
- Place on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 8-10 mins (for individual souffles, larger ones will require more time) until risen and golden. Serve immediately.
- The cheese mix should be the consistency of Greek yogurt.
- Don't over-whisk the whites - they will be difficult to fold in.
- Don't slam the oven door when putting the souffles in, and resist opening the oven door before the cooking time is up.