How to make crisp, golden roast potatoes.
Points to remember
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C and preheat your baking tray and fat (such as sunflower oil or duck/goose fat).
- Peel and cut potatoes into halves or quarters, roughly the same size.
- Place into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 mins.
- Drain into a colander, add a sprinkling of flour and salt and shake the colander to roughen the edges.
- Tip onto the hot baking tray, coat the potatoes in the hot fat and roast for 1 hour or until golden and crispy. Turn the potatoes over once or twice during cooking.
- Maris Piper and King Edward varieties are great roasting potatoes.