Preparing a ham
How to cook and glaze a ham - a great celebration dish.
Points to remember
- Weigh ham to calculate cooking time (see below).
- Soak the ham in cold water, according to butcher's instructions (you may not need to do this with some hams).
- Place the ham in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 30 mins per 450g/1lb, periodically skimming and discarding any white froth that comes to the surface.
- Drain, reserving the stock is desired, leave to cool a little, then remove the top layer of skin, leaving a thin layer of fat around the meat.
- Score the fat, then brush with a glaze of your choice. Place in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake at 220C/fan 200C for 20-30 mins (based on a 5kg ham) or until the glaze is golden.
- Make sure you have a pan big enough to fit the ham. The water should cover the meat.
- Make sure the ham is fully cooked after boiling - the baking stage is only to caramelise the skin.