How to make a dough and crisp homemade pizza.
Points to remember
- Preheat oven and a baking sheet to 220C/fan 200C.
- Mix strong bread flour, salt and fast-action yeast together in a large bowl. Quickly stir in lukewarm water and olive oil and bring together to a rough dough.
- Tip out the mixture onto a lightly floured worksurface and knead for 5 mins until you have a smooth, springy dough.
- Roll out into a thin round (you may have to stretch it with your hands a little) and place on a floured baking sheet.
- Add your favourite toppings (such as tomato passata, mozzarella, vegetables or cured meats), place the floured sheet on top of the preheated sheet and bake for 10-15 mins, until the pizza is golden and crispy.
- The dough doesn't need to be left to rise as the base should be be very thin. If you do want to leave your dough to rise, place it into a large oiled bowl, covered with oiled clingfilm. When you are ready to make the pizza, punch the dough down to knock out any air that's accumulated.
- Placing the pizza's baking tray on another hot baking sheet helps make the pizza really crispy.