Preparing a leg of lamb
Stud a leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, ready for roasting.
Points to remember
- Make small incisions in the skin, right into the flesh to allow flavours to penetrate.
- Make small bundles of aromatics and flavourings and use to stud the lamb (rosemary and garlic is a classic combination).
- Season with salt, before roasting (see times below).
- Rest lamb before carving.
- Always weigh meat prior to roasting to determine cooking time.
- Lamb should be roasted 20 mins per 450g/lb, plus an extra 20 mins. Cook at 220C/fan 200C for the first 20 mins and then 190C/fan 170C for the remaining time.