Making hollandaise and bearnaise sauce
How to make two classic sauces to serve with fish, meat and eggs.
Points to remember
- First, make a reduction by boiling vinegar with a few peppercorns and shallots, reducing it to half the amount. Strain.
- Mix egg yolks with a little of the reduction in a bowl and beat over a bain marie until thickened.
- Whisk in melted clarified butter, a little at a time until you have a glossy, thick sauce. Season with lemon juice and a little salt and pepper.
- If your hollandaise looks like it may split, take off the heat and whisk in a little cold liquid, such as water.
- To make your hollandaise thicker, add more butter. To make it thinner, add more water or lemon juice.