How to use leaf and powdered gelatine.
Points to remember
- Soak leaf gelatine in cold water for a few mins to soften.
- Squeeze excess water from the sheets before adding to a hot base liquid (such as flavoured cream or fruit juice). Stir well.
- Pour into a lightly oiled mould and chill for 4-6 hours, or until completely set.
- Loosen the jelly by running the tip of a knife around the edge, then pulling it carefully away from the mould with your thumb. Invert onto a plate and flick the mould forward to release it.
- Make sure the base liquid isn't boiling, and don't heat liquid with gelatine added to boiling point - the gelatine will lose it's setting properties.
- Make sure the base liquid isn't too cold - the gelatine will not dissolve properly and will set into strings.