Freezing fruit and vegetables
Avoid wastage with this handy technique.
Points to remember
- Open freeze fruit and prepared veg by placing on a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with baking parchment, space each piece well apart and then freeze until solid.
- Place into freezer bags and label.
- Most vegetables need to be blanched before freezing.
- Place in boiling water and cook for 1-3 mins (depending on the vegetable), then remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice cold water to stop the cooking. Open freeze as explained above.
- Open freezing allows you to store fruits and veg without them clumping in a big block and allows you to use what you need as and when, instead of having to defrost the whole amount.
- Some vegetables can't be frozen, such as chicory, cucumber, endive, kale, lettuce, radishes and Jerusalem artichokes.