A simple technique to preserve fruit and vegetables.
Points to remember
- Prepare fruit or vegetables by cutting into small even-sized chunks, discarding any blemished pieces.
- Place in a large pan with sugar and vinegar and cook down gently until the sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Simmer the mixture until the fruit or vegetables have softened and the consistency is thick and syrupy, with no runny liquid.
- Place the hot chutney into clean, hot jars and seal.
- Sterilise jars by running them through a dishwasher cycle, or washing them with hot soapy water and placing in an oven at 100C for 10-15 mins.
- Chutneys are best left to mature for a couple of months before eating because the acids from the vinegar soften and the fruit flavours have time to meld and become more complex.