Handle different types of chilli with confidence with our 'how to' video.
Points to remember
- Make rings by slicing across the whole chilli with a sharp knife.
- To cut into fine shreds, slice the green top off the chilli, then remove the seeds with a knife or teaspoon. Keep the chilli skin-side down and slice lengthways into thin shreds.
- To cut into fine dice, cut the shreds across into even cubes.
- The white membrane and seeds are the hottest part of the chilli. Remove them before slicing, or slice the whole chilli with the seeds in if heat is required.
- Placing the chilli skin-side down on the board makes it easier to cut.
- Immediately wash hands in cold water rather than hot water after handling chillies - hot water can make the chilli sink into your skin and it's impossible to wash off.