How to brûler
Learn how to brûler custards and tarts.
Points to remember
- Place item to be brûléed on a flame-proof surface, such as a baking tray.
- Sprinkle a thin, even layer of caster sugar over the surface. Mist with a fine spray of water, to help the sugar to dissolve (optional).
- Use a blowtorch to dissolve and caramelise the sugar, constantly moving the flame over the surface.
- If a thicker layer of caramel is required, it's better to do two separate layers rather than one thick one.
- Be very careful when using a blowtorch - don't hold the ramekin or tart whilst you're brûléeing.
- Don't hold the blowtorch too close to the surface - it will take longer for the sugar to caramelise.