Sausages With Lentils & Mixed Mushrooms
Member recipe by JonPaul
Member recipe by JonPaul
Cooking timePrep: 10 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
- 400 gramme pack of good quality pork sausages
- 1 heaped cup of puy or other small green lentils rinsed in a sieve under running water
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon or smoked pancetta,diced
- 3 cups good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 celery sticks,diced
- 1 medium carrot,peeled & diced
- a couple of sprigs of fresh lemon thyme,leaves only
- 3 small fresh bay leaves or 2 dried
- 3 fat cloves of garlic,finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked maldon sea salt or unsmoked will do
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.malabar has a nice heat if you can get it.
- 250 grammes tesco frozen mushroom mix or mixed fresh mushrooms coarsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
pour the oil into a COLD,heavy bottomed pan,add the sausages,turn on the heat and,when the sausages start to sizzle,adjust your hob to maintain that heat setting.this avoids the sausages splitting.turn to brown on all sides.
remove the sausages & add the bacon/pancetta to the pan.stir until it starts to colour & the fat runs then add the diced veg/garlic & continue to stir for a few minutes.
add the lentils,herbs & mushrooms & turn to coat everything in the flavoured oil for a couple of minutes.return the sausages to the pan & add the stock.bring to the boil,cover with a tight fitting lid & turn down to a gentle simmer.stir occasionally.
after 15/20 minutes of simmering,remove the lid,stir,taste & add salt/pepper to taste.replace the lid & simmer for a further 10/15 mins.after the end of the cooking time virtually all of the liquid should have been absorbed & the lentils still al denté.if not,remove the lid & boil to reduce.
serve with crusty bread & a glass or two of chilled pinot noir
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…