Points to remember
- Preheat the oven with a baking sheet inside.
- Butter the inside of a large ramekin or individual ramekins and then coat with parmesan or breadcrumbs for a savoury souffle and caster sugar or grated chocolate for a sweet souffle - this will help it rise.
- Make a thick white sauce (see the white sauce video), leave until warm and stir in egg yolks and cheese, if using. Season well.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then beat a large spoonful into the sauce mixture.
- Gently fold the rest of the whites into the sauce in one or two additions, using a large metal spoon or spatula. Work in a figure of 8 motion to combine until no large streaks of white remain.
- Spoon into the ramekin, filling 3/4 full. Run your finger around the edge of the mixture to help it rise.
- Place on the preheated baking sheet and bake until risen and golden. Don't open the door during cooking and serve immediately.