Points to remember
- Prepare the mincemeat.
- Dust your work surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the pastry. Roll about two thirds of the pastry this should be enough for the bases.
- Cut out bases large enough to fit your tart tin.
- Spoon in the mincemeat without overfilling, 1 - 2 tablespoons should be enough. If you put in too much, the filling may leak out and the pies can become stuck to the tin.
- Re-roll the remaining pastry and any trimmings and cut smaller lids or shapes to cover.
- Cut a hole in lidded pies to let out steam.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, your recipe will give you suggested timings.