Points to remember
- Brush the grapes and holly leaves with a thin coating of egg white, then sprinkle with caster sugar. Leave to dry.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add egg white and whisk for about 5 mins over a pan of simmering water until thick and glossy.
- Dollop the icing over the top of the cake and swirl it around with a palette knife.
- Halve the clementines and figs and open out the cape gooseberries.
- Arrange the fruits on the top and fix a festive ribbon around the cake.