- 300g whole raw beetroot, scrubbed
A favourite in 1970's British salads (served cooked and pickled in vinegar), beetroot is a…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed but left in their skins
- 250g pouch ready-cooked spelt (or cook your own, see tip)
Spelt is an ancient member of the wheat family and an evolutionary hybrid of emmer wheat…
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts or flaked almonds
- 50g pitted black olives, roughly chopped (I use the dry Provencal type for texture)
- 2 whole cleaned mackerel
Mackerel is a firm-fleshed, torpedo-shaped sea fish. Whole mackerel weigh in around 10-12oz (…
- ½ tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- small pack dill, roughly chopped
- small pack coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- thick creamy yogurt, to serve
Yogurt is made by adding a number of types of harmless bacteria to milk, causing it to ferment.…
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut the beets into wedges and toss with 1 tbsp oil plus some seasoning in an oiled, medium roasting tin. Roast for 40 mins, adding the garlic to the tin with 20 mins to go, until tender and caramelised.
Cook the spelt following pack instructions. Whisk together the remaining oil, the honey and vinegar. Toss this, plus the spelt, nuts and olives, into the beetroot and set aside to cool.
Line a large baking tray with foil. Slash the fish a few times down to the bones on each side and place on the foil. Mix the spices with seasoning, then rub them all over the fish. Raise the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and roast the fish for 15-20 mins or until golden and the dorsal fin at the back pulls away easily.
Just before serving, fold the herbs and red onion into the salad. Season to taste and serve with the fish and a dollop of the yogurt.
To cook your own spelt, cover 100g (makes 250g) pearled spelt with cold water and bring to a simmer. Add a little vegetable bouillon powder if you like. Cook for 20 mins until just tender, then drain.