- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 large slices sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli, cut into small pieces
Like cabbage and cauliflower, broccoli is a brassica and is sometimes known by its Italian name…
- 10 kumquats, thinly sliced and seeds removed (see tip)
It looks like a small, oval orange, but the kumquat, which originates in Asia, is a member of…
- 10 radishes, cut into quarters
The root of a member of the mustard family, radishes have a peppery flavour and a crisp, crunchy…
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 100g feta, crumbled
A creamy soft white cheese with an ancient history - nomadic tribes who needed to preserve the…
- 50g toasted almonds with skins, roughly chopped
arr-mund or al-mund
Sweet almonds have a subtle fragrance that lends itself well to baking and also works well with…
- small pack chives, snipped
- 4 tbsp light olive oil or groundnut oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
Bring two pans of water to the boil. Add the chicken breasts to one and cook for 2 mins. Turn off the heat, put a lid on top and leave to sit for 30 mins. Put the broccoli pieces in the other pan, cook for 2 mins, then drain and transfer immediately to a bowl of cold water. This will help it to retain its colour and bite.
While the chicken is poaching, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the bread cubes on a baking tray and cook for 10-12 mins until golden, then remove and leave to cool. Can be made a day ahead and stored in a container.
Put the dressing ingredients with 1 tsp salt in a jar with a lid. Shake well and set aside. Can be made a day ahead. Put the kumquats, broccoli, radishes, onion, feta, almonds and chives into a serving bowl.
When the chicken is done, remove from the water, leave to cool for 5 mins, then shred into chunky pieces and add to the salad. Just before serving, pour the dressing over and mix well.