Roast tomato and herb sauce
Member recipe by bearnaise
This can be used in its original state on a pizza or in a soup or pureed to be used in tomato based recipes such as chilli con carne, bolognese sauce, tomato chicken curry etc.
- A kilo of tomatoes of all different shapes and sizes
- Plenty of good olive oil
- Fresh herb of choice or more than one - bay leaves, rosemary, parsley, coriander, lemon thyme
- Half a dozen crushed garlic cloves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a roasting tin in a medium oven (temp 190)
- Leave for half an hour or until it all looks molten red and smells lovely and tomatoey - do not let it brown
- Puree if desired, removing the hard herbs like bayleaf and rosemary first, personally I can't bear to liquidise it and eat it like it is!
- If you are not using it immediately, let it cool then freeze it. You can use a breadknife to carve pieces off and then put it back in the freezer if you don't want to use it all at once
- This can be used with my chilli con carne recipe