Grandma's Chicken Casserole
Member recipe by paulbarton69
This is a recipe I improvised when I was yearning for a chicken casserole like my Grandma used to make. You can taste the healthy goodness it! Perfect supper food for this time of year! I love this served with grilled asparagus and a baked potato.
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 trimmed leeks, sliced
- 2 tspns butter
- slug of olive oil
- bunch fresh sage
- plain flour to thicken
- 200ml chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
- bay leaf
- Start by heating the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped vegetables and soften.
- Add the diced chicked and fresh sage leaves (not the stalks), and cook until golden brown
- Remove from heat and add flour to soak up all the veg and chicken juices, then add water, chicken stock, and a bay leaf. Season to taste, and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Cook in a preheated oven, 180c, for about an hour.
- You could also add sweetcorn about halfway through the oven cooking time for some extra taste and colour, and it also works really well if you add dumplings!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…