Beef in Beer
Member recipe by beverley1471
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Portions
This is a very simple dish to prepair and tastes delicious with chips or mashed potatoes and veg. Its also a cheap cut of meat.
- 900g(2lb) Stewing steak.
- 400ml stout or best bitter
- 2/3 medium onions.
- 15g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- pre-heat the oven to 180c, 350F, gas mark 4. Cut the steak into large cubes (leave all fat as this will melt in cooking). and slice onions.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole and cook the meat over a high heat for 10 minutes until browned and sealed.
- Remove steak and add onions, fry onions until they are transparent and then add the flour stiring allowing the flour to absorb the fat.
- return the meat to the casserole dish and add the beer, mustard, and bay leaf. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or until tender and sauce has reduced and thickened. You can leave this in the oven for longer if you wish, or cook the day before and reheat.
- you can add a teaspoon of suger at step four if the beer you are using is quite bitter.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…