Jamaican Curried Goat
Member recipe by debicale
Jamaican chef Patrick Williams has created this delicious Curried Goat recipe. Make your own version, which is as authentic as you would find in Jamaica.
- 550g shoulder of Goat (bone in), diced
- 3 Tbsp West Indian curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground pimento seeds
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 140ml/5fl oz vegetable oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Olive oil
- Water or stock
- Season the goat with the curry powder, thyme, pimento, black pepper and coriander seeds at least 6-8hrs before using it.
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F,gasmark 2. Heat oil in a pan and cook the goat pieces until golden brown.
- Soften the tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic in some olive oil and add it to the meat. Immerse the ingredients in double their quantity of water or stock and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and place in preheated oven for 1-1 to 1½ hours, until goat is tender.
- When ready, remove goat from pan, simmer sauce till reduced by half, then return meat to pan and serve with rice and peas.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…