Barley, bacon & leek casserole
Member recipe by grajput
- A knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g piece bacon or pork belly, cut into pieces, 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g pearl barley
- 300g peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 175g self-raising flour
- 75g butter
- 75g Cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add a good knob of butter and olive oil and fry the bacon or pork belly for 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add leeks and garlic cloves, and fry for a few minutes.
- Add pearl barley, butternut squash, fresh thyme leaves, and chicken stock. Season. Simmer for 25 minutes until the barley is nearly tender.
- In a bowl, mix self-raising flour with butter, Cheddar, chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, some seasoning and a splash of water until it forms a soft dough. Roll into walnut-size dumplings, add to the casserole and cook for a further 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…