basic ragu sauce
Member recipe by vstothard
this meat sauce can be served with spaghetti or transformed into a chilli, shepherd's pie or moroccan aubergine bake
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- small glass of milk
- large glass white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pan with a tight fitting lid. Add the onion, celery, carrot and fry for 5 mins until softened and lightly coloured.
- Tip in the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, then fry over a high heat, until there are no traces of pink left and the grains of meat are separated. This will take about 10 mins.
- Reduce the heat a little, pour in the milk and simmer for a few mins until the milk has been absorbed.
- stir in the tomatoes, wine and tomatoe puree with some salt and pepper. reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 1 hour
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…