Member recipe by sianie
This delicious coffee cake is great for all occasions and tastes AMAZING! It is simple and easy to make!
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (add more if you like it strong)
- For The Icing
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 160C, 325 F,gas 3.Baseline and grease two equally sized sandwich tins. Add the sugar and the butter to a bowl and whisk until very fluffy and a pale cream.
- Wisk the eggs in a mug with a fork and then add them gradually to the mixture with 1 tbsp of flour each time. Make sure you don't use all the flour.
- Add the rest of the flour and the baking powder to the mixture and fold it in gently.
- Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and add to the mixture still folding. Divide into the sandwich tins and cook for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile Cream the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve the coffee in boiling water, making sure you don't add too much water or the icing will be runny and add it to the butter and icing sugar. Whisk and leave in the fridge until the cake is done.
- Once the cakes are done and have been put onto plates spread the icing on the bottom of one of the cakes (leaving around half of the icing for the top) and spread the strawberry jam ont the bottom of the other. Spread the remainig icing ontop of the cake. decorate with cherries or walnuts. ENJOY!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…