Victoria Sponge Cake
Member recipe by banana2711
A large and full filling victoria sponge with a delicious texture and taste.
- knob of butter, melted
- 225g/8oz butter, softened
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour, sifted (you may need a bit extra)
- For the filling
- 6 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 300ml fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
- To serve,
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Gently heat the butter in a pan and brush two 6in-7in/15cm-17.5cm cake tins with the melted butter. Line the bottom of the two cake tins with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon. Beat well to get lots of air into the mixture (this should take a couple of minutes).
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add a tablespoon of flour if the mixture curdles.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Be careful not to over-mix it.
- Pour the mixture equally between the two cake tins and level off the top with a spatula. Make a slight dip in the centre with the tip of the spatula if you don't want them to be pointed in the middle.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently with a finger and are pale golden in colour.
- Remove from the tins after about 5-10 minutes and cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…