Member recipe by amzling89
A great dish as a cold starter for the summer or as a hot main course to warm you up through the winter.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 rashers of unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp each of fresh chives, parsley, basil and marjoram
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 25g butter
- Half an iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1L chicken/vegetable stock (can be more or less if desired)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 150ml whipping cream
- 40g grated chedder cheese
- In a large pan heat the oil and add the chopped bacon and fry until brown. Stir in the butter and lettuce and cook for 2minutes.
- Remove from heat and add stock and tinnned tomatoes.
- Return to boil, season with salt and pepper. Add the fresh tomatoes and simmer for 5minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in a food processor until almost smooth with fine lumps. Return to low heat, add the cream and stir, without allowing it to boil.
- Serve into dishes and add croutons and a sprinkle of grated cheese, if desired.
- Can also be done without the bacon, using vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…