Salt Baked Celeriac
Member recipe by johnfrw
A wonderful use of celeriac and quite a fun centrepiece for the table.
- 1 large celeriac, base sliced off, green top left on
- 110g/4oz free-range egg whites (about three medium egg whites)
- 700g/1lb 8oz table salt
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 110ml/4fl oz olive oil
- sea salt flakes, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/350F/Gas 5.
- Place the celeriac into a roasting tray.
- Mix the egg whites, table salt and rosemary together in a large bowl until the mixture forms a paste.
- Cover the celeriac in a 2cm/ÃÂ¾in thick layer of the salt paste, ensuring there are no gaps. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- When the salt-baked celeriac has cooked, remove it from the oven, place on a plate and serve - someone will enjoy smashing the salt crust, or......
- chip away the salt crust and scoop out the baked celeriac into a bowl. Add a splash of olive oil to the celeriac, then season, to taste, with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the celeriac with a fork until combined.
- from Adam Byatt on Saturday Kitchen
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…