Chocolate mousse cake
Member recipe by chrissywantstobake
Cooking timePlus 1/2 - 3/4 cooling time
- 350g/12oz dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces.
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 300g/10oz golden caster sugar (caster sugar is just as good)
- 100g/4oz butter biscuits, or butter shortbread, broken into bitesize pieces
- TO SERVE
- 284ml carton double cream
- 225g/8oz of bluberries
- homemade vanilla ice cream
- heat oven to 160C/fan 140/gas 3. Line and butter a 23cm springform tin. Put chocolate and butter in a pan and melt over a very low heat. Set aside. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs with the sugar for about 5mins untill the mixture is thick, pale and doubled in volume.
- Pour the chocolate into the whisked egg mixture, then gently, but thoroughly, fold in. Add the broken biscuits, then gently fold again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, then bake for 40-45mins until just firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for about 1/2-3/4 hr. You can serve it while still warm and the centre is still melty and gooey, as in the picture, or you can chill it (up to a day ahead) and it will be firm and fudgy enough to cut into wedges. Serve with double cream and fresh blueberries or homemade ice cream.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…