Bacon and Mushroom Croissants
Member recipe by boscad
Easy Sunday brunch - savoury mushroom and bacon croissants.... mmmm !!!!
- 2 croissants (ready made or part baked, doesn't matter)
- 150g closed cup mushrooms
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 25ml olive oil
- 4 rashers of your favourite bacon
- Ground pepper (mill) or good pinch of pepper powder.
- Turn on oven, to around 150 deg C. Halve the croissants, but don't place in oven yet. Clean mushrooms with damp cloth. Slice mushrooms. Heat olive oil in wide pan to the point where a mushroom slice when dropped in will immediately start to sizzle.
- Add all mushrooms, and stir around with wooden spatula. Add about 12 to 18 twists of pepper from the pepper mill. Turn on grill. Keep stirring the mushrooms. They will soon start to give up their moisture, and the pan / oil temperature will drop to the boiling point of water. Keep on stirring till all the moisture is driven off, and all that is left is the oil and mushrooms. Keep cooking until the sliced mushrooms just start to brown - but don't go too far - this develops a superb flavour. Turn down the pan heat to low.
- Place bacon and tomatoes under the grill. Grill bacon to taste (I like it nice and crispy) and the tomato skins are just blackening on top. Half way through this, place the croissants in the oven.
- After about 3 minutes, remove the pre-sliced croissants from oven. With a fork, mash two cherry tomatoes onto one half of each of the two croissants. Layer two rashers of bacon over the tomatoes. Spoon the mushrooms over the bacon. Place the top half of the croissants over the mushrooms. Serve on a warmed plate with folded napkin/kitchen paper towel and a cafetiere of fresh coffee.