Polenta Tart with Bean Salad
Member recipe by faery-queen
A tasty red onion polenta tart with a three bean salad - an excellent dish for vegans/ vegetarians.
- For the Polenta Tart:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Half a jar tomato passata sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 5 oz Polenta
- Water (Use as much as is needed - only if the mixture gets too thick.)
- For the Three Bean Salad:
- 1 tin cannellini beans
- 1 tin borlotti beans
- 1 tin broad beans
- 1 chilli pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Place a medium saucepan on a low heat. Put in 2 tbsp of olive oil, the sliced garlic and onion and cook until they soften slightly. Add half the jar of passata sauce, salt and pepper and cook for 40 minutes. Add water if the sauce gets too thick.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, prepare the bean salad. Drain the beans from the tins and wash them under cold water. Put a small pan of water to boil on the hob and add the beans. Let it cook for 10 minutes. When cooked, drain the beans and place into a bowl with the chopped chilli pepper. Dress with olive oil, salt and pepper and mix until it is well incorporated. Put into the fridge to cool.
- When the sauce is done, add the fresh basil leaves and polenta. Let it cook for 10 minutes and stir frequently to prevent any lumps occurring. If the mixture becomes thicker than porridge, add water. Once this is done, rub oil in the ramekins to prevent sticking. Place the mixture equally into 4 ramekins and put into the fridge to set for 1 hour.
- When it is ready to come out, make sure to run a knife around the edges of the tart first so that it slides out easily. Place the ramekin upside-down in the middle of a plate and it should slide out easily. Spoon out the bean salad around the polenta tart. Repeat these steps until you have four plates of food. Buon Appetito!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…