Member recipe by estellalewis
Traditional welsh cakes, nice at breakfast to warm you up,smash some saltanas or whatever you want in them=amazing. Although all recipes differ a little.
- 225g- Plain Flour
- 100g- Butter
- 75g- Caster Sugar
- 50g- Currents
- (Saltana's, Rasins, Orange Peel etc)
- 1/2 tsb- Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsb- Mixed Spice
- (But I end up putting way more)
- 1 Egg
- Pinch of Salt
- Some milk
- Sift the dry flour but this is'nt really necessary, after add the baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl.
- Use the rubbing-in method to rub the butter into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar and the currents and then crack the shell and pour in the egg.
- Mix to form a dough, if the mixture is dry, add some milk.
- Roll and cut on a floured chopping board or worktop until they are the right size, height and shape.
- Finally fry with some oil at a meduim temperature until golden.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…