Member recipe by imabadpixie
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- 4oz golden caster sugar
- 4oz butter, softened
- 4oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1tbs vanilla essence
- 1tbs mixed spice
- Milk to soften batter if necessary
- For the Icing
- 75g room temp butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1/2 shot of whisky (scotch works well) - or to taste
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 and line some cupcake tins with cases. Cream the sugar and butter in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs gradually mixing well inbetween additions.
- Fold in the flour along with the essence & spice (and milk is necessary) and then spoon into the cases filling to the top.
- Place in the middle of pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and springy to touch. Leave these in the tin for 5 mins and then transfer to a cooling rack until cold.
- While cakes are baking, cream the butter with the icing sugar and then gradually add the whisky to taste.
- Cut a circular hole in the top of each cake. Cut the piece of removed cake into two. Fill the holes with 2 tsb of icing and then place the cake pieces back on top like butterfly wings. Dust with Icing sugar if desired.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…