Member recipe by shikoomkoom
Two light & airy halves of sponge, sandwiching a layer of generously spread, chunky strawberry jam & home-made double cream. Finished off with lashings of the sweetest sugar. Just pure delight.
- Sponge -
- 175g butter/margerine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- Filling -
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam (hartley's with real fruit pieces is gorgeous!)
- 500ml double cream
- Set the oven to 180C. Butter 2 sandwich tins with a 20cm diameter
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg.
- Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins
- Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins
- Whip the cream until thick and use it to fill the sponge with the jam
- Dust liberally with icing sugar to serve
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…