Rocky road cake
Member recipe by rosieiscoolforever
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Slices
- for cake;
- 225g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 225g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- for filling and topping;
- 35 chocolate covered caramels or malteasers
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 125g mini marshmallows
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- preheat the oven to 180 c / 350 f / gas mark 4. Grease 2 20cm round cake tins.
- for the cake , sift the flour , baking powder , cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. In a seperate bowl , beat the butter untill pale and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for a further 2 minutes. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each additon, then stir in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients , mixing well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, dividing it evenly, and level the surface. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or untill firm to touch. Turn the akes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Cut small slits into the top of each sponge cake and set aside. For the filling and topping, put the chocolate caramels or malteasers into a saucepan with the milk and 25g of the marshamallows and heat gently untill melted.
- Pour the chocolate sauce mixture over the cake slices and pour the marshmallows and walnuts over the cake evenly and serve
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…