Sardine & Anchovy Pasta Sauce
Member recipe by heathereilbeck
- 2 120g cans of sardines in sunflower oil
- 1 50g can of anchovy fillets in oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, whole
- 2 table spoons capers
- 9 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- generous handful of basil leaves
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup of frozen peas (petit pois are best)
- Pasta of your choice (not lasagne)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- For the sauce - Lightly drain the sardines and anchovy fillets and tip them into a food processor. Add the whole tomatoes, capers, chilli, basil leaves and 8 table spoons of olive oil. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat 1 table spoon of olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry chopped onions and frozen peas. You are really only softening the onion and heating the peas so this will only take 6 or 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions on the packet.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a large bowl and using tongs or 2 forks or 2 spoons, gently combine everything until the pasta is generously coated in the sardine sauce and the onions and peas are evently distributed. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve immediately
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…