Tasty Sausage Casserole
Member recipe by ferrittmerritt
Tomato based sausage casserole, a healthy(ish!) cheap family meal.
- 8 Good quality pork sausages, snipped/sliced into bite size
- pieces (about 6 pieces per sausage)
- Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- handful chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sundried tomatoes
- Small glass red wine
- jar of passata
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- handful chopped basil
- Gently fry the sausage in a large pan (a wok is good) in the olive oil until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove sausage and keep to one side. Now, in the same pan fry the onions and garlic untill softened. After 5 mins or so add the peppers, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes, cook for a further few mins then return the sausages to the pan.
- turn the heat up high, add the red wine and cook for a few mins to reduce slightly.
- Add the passata, sugar, basil and paprika and simmer for half an hour. (or as long as you want really the longer its left the better the taste its amazing reheated the next day!)
- Season to taste if liked and serve with fluffy rice, crusty bread or with pasta. Try with any other veg in you like.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…