Sweet onion and sausage hotpot
Member recipe by tracinda
Pure comfort food! Sausages, caramelised onions and mushrooms in a sweet sticky sauce, baked underneath sliced potato.
- 6 - 8 good quality, plump sausages
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 open cup mushrooms
- Dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- One large or two small red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 200ml veg stock (from cube is fine)
- dash red wine (optional)
- 2tbsp onion chutney
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- fried eggs and grilled tomatoes to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas6. In a large pan, fry the sausages on a moderate heat until browned. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes, and place them, whole, into a pan of salted water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 mins, but keep checking them to make sure they do not overcook, they should be slightly softened but not cooked. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan as you cooked the sausages, fry the sliced onion in 1tbsp olive oil on a medium heat until softened. Add the sugar and a tbsp of water, and stir for a few mins until the sugar is dissolved. Add the wine if you are using. Add the stock and chutney, stir well, and turn up the heat so the mixture is bubbling. Let it bubble for a few minutes, until it starts to thicken, then turn down to medium heat.
- Add the sausages to the pan with the onions, and cook for a few more minutes. Remove them from the pan and put into an ovenproof casserole dish. Pour the onions in their sauce over, and top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little olive oil on the mushrooms.
- Slice the potatoes, slices should be about 1cm thick. Cover the sausage and mushroom mixture with the sliced potatoes, cover dish with foil, and bake in the centre of the oven. After 30 mins, remove the foil, and return to the oven for 15 mins, to crisp up the potatoes. Divide between 2 plates, pouring the sweet sauce over, and serve with a fried egg on top, and grilled tomatoes on the side.