Mulled Wine / "Gluehwein" Jam
Member recipe by zetallgerman
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Jars
- 1.2kg tangy apples (or half apples / half plums)
- 600ml red wine (or red grape juice for kids)
- 200ml orange juice
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp powder)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 vanilla pod, with seeds
- 900g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3-4 tbsp raisins
- Peel and core apples; then cut into cubes. (de-stone the plums)
- Add all ingredients to a tall pot (be careful, jam tends to rise a lot whilst boiling!) and bring to the boil. Stir occasionallyl.
- Put a small saucer into the freezer (it will make sense soon...)
- Once bubbling, leave to boil vigorously for about 50min. To test whether the jam has "set", take a teaspoon full and drizzle it onto the cold saucer. If you can touch the surface after a few seconds and it doesn't run when tilting the saucer, it has set. If not, keep boiling for another minute and then test it again.
- Once it has set, remove the cloves, vanilla pod and cinnamon stick (if using). If you like a smooth jam, you can now blend it.
- Skim any scum that has risen to the surface and fill the jam into 4 sterilized jars.
- Close the jars and place them upside down for about 15min (this ensures that the lids create a tight vacuum). Merry Christmas!
- If you've sterilised and sealed your jars properly the jam should last for up to a year unopened. Once opened, store in the fridge.
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…