Slow-roasted duck casserole
Member recipe by kerryburnett
- 2 duck legs
- 150ml red wine
- Bouquet garni
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 225g shallots
- 110g diced streaky bacon or pancetta
- butter and oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 150ml chicken stock
- 300ml fresh orange juice
- 110g mushrooms
- Cover the shallots in boiling water, leave for 10 mins then peel. Preheat oven to 170c or 150c fan oven.
- Fry the bacon/pancetta in a hot casserole dish until lightly browned then remove to a holding dish.
- Add a little butter and oil and cook the shallots until light brown, then remove to holding dish.
- Place duck legs in casserole and brown both sides then add to holding dish.
- To the fats in the casserole, add the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the wine, stock, rosemary, bouquet garni and garlic. Beware, it will spit a little.
- Now return the bacon/panetta, shallots and duck to casserole. Add the redcurrant jelly, some of the orange juice and the mushrooms and simmer gently for 3-4 mins. Cover the casserole and place in the oven for two hours.
- Season to taste and add more orange juice or redcurrant jelly if you wish. Serve with mash.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…